Gumley House School FCJ

  • SearchSearch Site
  • Translate Translate Page
  • Twitter Twitter
  • Facebook Facebook
  • Instagram Instagram
  • CEOP CEOP

Helping Your Child Learn

Considering your child is in school for only 13% if the year and they are home for the remaining 87%, parents and carers are, without doubt, the primary educators of every student at Gumley House.

This page is here to support you in supporting your child, regardless of the key stage they may be in.  Many of these resources are available through our partnership with PiXL.  To access an overview of the strategies and resources outlined below, please download the document here.

Top Tips to support your child in their Home Learning: It's all important!  Unplugging... Eating healthily,,, This PowerPoint will go through the top tips in successful home learning. 

Cognitive Load TheoryCognitive load is the amount of information our working memory can hold at any one time. The capacity of our working load is limited and therefore students can maximise their working memory by practising a range of strategies. An overview of Cognitive Load Theory can be found here, or download the PowerPoint for strategies in applying it.

Recipe BookletAs part of our partnership with PiXL, this Power to Perform is all about what students are eating and how we can use food to enhance their performance, concentration and energy.

How to Revise: Your child will explore many different ways to revise throughout their time at Gumley.  This PowerPoint shows how one particular method, Interleaving, works well (overview here).  Using flashcards are a popular method of revisiting knowledge and understanding.  Once you have mastered the flashcard approach (here is the basic overview), applying the Leitner system gives greater value and impact.  To get the most from revision, effective Spacing and Timing is essential so that your child does not get swamped or overwhelmed (overview of Spacing and Timing).

Chunking: is a technique which can improve the memory. Chunking is the process of taking individual pieces of information (chunks) and grouping them into larger units.

Exercise can Improve your Exam Performance: Research shows that physically active students have more active brains. Even walking for just 20 minutes can significantly increase activity in the brain. This means that it is really important for students to take regular breaks in their learning. Does your child ever raise their eyebrows when you mention increased physical activity?  Here are the statistics.

All Support Materials Online: This link will take you to all the resources identified above.

10 COMMANDMENTS TO SUCCESS IN EXAMS AND LIFE

the 10 commandments of success in life and exams.pdf