Bright futures ahead as Gumley Girls embark on their next chapter
Gumley House School FCJ has once again proved their commitment to academic and personal excellence following notable subject results and outstanding individual performances in this year’s GCSE results.
Our Gumley Girls have shown incredible resilience and maturity during what has been an unnerving and unsettling few months for them. They have been ambitious and determined, and we are delighted to see their hard work rewarded – no pandemic was going to stand in the way them achieving their goals.
In a cohort full of individuals who have their own unique strengths and talents, special mention must be made of those girls who have achieved an outstanding set of results:
- Future cyber security developer Seyi is celebrating an amazing set of GCSE results today following her 8 x 9’s and 2 x 8 grades. Seyi is grateful to all of the staff at Gumley that gave up huge amounts of time to provide the one-to-one tailored feedback on all of her work, helping her to understand the areas she needed to focus on. She commented, “The teachers here know how to stretch you to achieve your best”.
- Former St Lawrence Primary School student Analiza is looking forward to creating a better future for all through the engineering of innovative products, following her outstanding grades at GCSE. Analiza credits the support she received both academically and pastorally in helping her secure the 7 x 9’s, 3 x 8’s and 1 x 7 grades.
- Molly is excited to be continuing her educational journey at The Sixth after securing 5 x 9’s at GCSE and has aspirations to further her studies at medical school in the hope of becoming a Doctor. She would advise all younger students to space the revision out and pace themselves.
- Having secured her place on the Scholars’ Programme and her Maths, Chemistry and Drama course at The Sixth, Neve is looking forward to celebrating her incredible achievements at GCSE. Neve knew that Gumley was going to be the school for her and credits the amazing ethos and friendly nature as the place to support her academic passions.
- Kimberley is one step closer to studying Medicine at Oxford after securing a wonderful set of GCSE results. Staying at The Sixth, she is looking forward to beginning her Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and EPQ courses. Kimberley would advise all future GCSE students to really understand their strengths and weaknesses and focus their attention on what and how they can improve them.
- Amongst a set of incredible results, Leila is particularly pleased with her grade 9 in Art and Design and hopes to be able to pursue a career in Art Therapy. Leila has seen first-hand how this sort of work can help provide great support to children with Autism. Leila said, “It’s OK to be unsure what you want to do - but just be sure you choose subjects you are interested and passionate in”. Leila credits Gumley as being a very special school because it allows you to grow as an individual and nurtures your talents.
- Tara commented that, “Gumley cares about the whole person and because of that the results come naturally”. She is thrilled to be celebrating today after securing 8 and 9 grades across all of her subjects.
- Future Oscar winner in Costume Design, Sophie is looking forward to staying at The Sixth to study Fashion and Textiles, French and English Literature. Sophie is appreciative of all the incredible support she received including, additional resources, past papers, booster sessions, mind maps and flash cards amongst many other tools provided by the school to aid her revision journey.
- After achieving 5 x 9’s, 3 x 8’s and 4 x 7 grades at GCSE, Asmita is looking forward to returning to The Sixth to study Maths, Chemistry and Chinese. She hopes to achieve as much success in her A levels as she plans her future ambitions to do a degree in Chemistry; and one day become a Research Scientist at GlaxoSmithKline.
We are thrilled that the majority of our students are returning in September to continue their educational journey at The Sixth which consistently delivers top results and saw the highest attainment of A*/A grades in the borough last year. We are confident they will be the leaders of the future and with the excellent qualifications, skills and qualities they have already gained, they are in the best place to do this.
Stephen Byrne, Headteacher, commented:
I am so proud of the progress of our girls, academically and personally. They are ambitious, motivated and talented young women, and I know they will take this unexpected end to their GCSE years in their stride and learn from it. I hope it will help them to be even more determined to make the most out of every opportunity and to use their many and varied talents wisely. I would also like to recognise and thank all the staff here at Gumley for their dedication and tireless support of each and every girl. This personalised approach to knowing each individual student is what makes Gumley truly unique.
This year we have enjoyed the most extraordinary performances on the sports pitches; been royally entertained by outstanding productions; contributed to our local and wider community; celebrated the FCJ Bicentenary; and now remarkable exam results. We are saddened that the end of our girls’ Year 11 journey was so disrupted, but we are proud of their resilience and positivity throughout that period. We wish them all every success in the next chapter of their lives and look forward to welcoming many of them back to The Sixth at Gumley in September.