Choices at Key Stage 4
Choices at Key Stage 4
This page is for all students in Year 9 (and their families), and offers guidance and advice for those selecting their Key Stage 4 qualifications from September.
From January, you will be supported through the process of choosing your GCSE Option subjects. Making curriculum choices in Year 9 is a very important process. It is an opportunity for you and your daughter to take increased control of the education choice on offer to her.
The GCSE Options your daughter chooses for Years 10 and 11 will change their school timetable school for the next two years. The choices made will also influence what options are available after Year 11 in terms of further study. This is an important step in the student’s education and we want to ensure that both you and your child are well informed on the choices available, the suitability of different electives, and the process through which choices can be made.
All students must study a core GCSE curriculum of:
- Religious Education
- English Language and English Literature
- Physical Education (non examined)
- PSHE (non examined)
Students then chose a further three subjects that they would like to study. All the subjects we offer for GCSE can be found on the website under the Subjects link along with a copy of the curriculum booklet that students will receive as their PSHE lessons begins to explore their options and future career opportunities.
It is vitally important to choose subjects for the correct reasons. Spend some time with your daughter thinking about what subjects she enjoys doing, what keeps her interested and motivated, and those which she will really succeed in.
The timeline for Options Choices will be published in January.
Please take time to go through the different subjects available with your daughter.
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact either Mrs Windmill or Mrs Jarvis (Head of Year 9).
Download PowerPoint here
Options Booklet 2023
The Sixth: Scholars' Programme
Poster on Mindset
To access a PowerPoint with more detail on Textiles/Fashion, click here
Once you have had the chance to look through all the material and decided on your Key Stage 4 qualifications subjects, please use the link below to complete your Options Form which can be found in your tutor group's Google Classroom.
The deadline for completing the online form is Wednesday 19th April 2023 (6pm)
Further Resources and advice
The following websites provides advice, help and information on how your choices can help you decide what your future career will be:
- Success at School - Knowing more about what you can do with studying a subject at GCSE
- All About School Leavers - GCSE Options - Advice on options available to you when you are choosing your GCSEs
- iCould GCSE Options - Videos to help you discover what your GCSEs can do to help you
- Studential GCSE Options - Information and advice on how to choose your GCSE subjects
- Plotr GCSE Options - Questions you should ask yourself when choosing your GCSE subjects
- Which University GCSE Options - Article discussing how important it is to think about which GCSE subjects to take